I’ve been a little busy this week to finish off the world book day outfit, so I thought it was time to put up another throw-back of some old makes! This is kind of a theme post rather than anything else, as it’s a compilation of things I’ve made over several years now, but
One of the first few things I made back in 2009 were a few cloaks made from crushed velvet (or something very similar: it was very cheap!), back when I still had my Grandmother’s brother sewing machine of doom. They were cheap to make and looked really cool whenever I went to fancy dress parties with friends, ( dressed invariably as a pirate or a dandy highwayman, or occasionally as some other character who needed to swoosh about). They also were fantastic for cold evenings at the beach with friends, where we would sit on the sand dunes, the barbecue embers dying away, and watch the sunset with three of us wrapped up in this thing. Good memories!
I never used a pattern as such for these, perhaps I found a few instructions online, but nothing really complicated.Essentially, both of these are half circle cloaks with a full circle capelet and hoods. One was lined on the interfacing panel at the collar, and the hood was also lined, but the overall thing wasn’t. The red one also had red trimming around it. It was one of the first items I made for another person and I was pretty pleased with it.
Now, fast forward three or four years and I once again found myself making items of a cloak-y cape-y nature. Whilst I was living in Sweden I made myself a smallish cape from some fabric I purchased at Stof och Stil ( more on them later). This was mostly made for an event close to christmas at the local theme park, but I’ve worn it on a few occasions since. This was effectively a semicircle which was lined in the same fabric, with a collar on it. the fabric was fantastically thick and to be honest, it really wasn’t the right thing to use for this particular project, but it WAS incredibly warm and I still do use it occasionally. It made another appearance last year at Asylum.In its defence, even though it was much shorter than I intended, I wore this around Liseberg in the depths of winter when it was -7 degrees centigrade out, and I was fine: no frostbite or hypothermia whatsoever. Yes, I fully accept that this was also a bad idea ad that I should really have worn a coat.
More recently, I put together a very VERY quick cape for Steampunk New Year. It was made out of a £3 fleece blanket from IKEA, and yes – it might be a bit boring, but actually it was much more successful. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of me actually wearing it at the moment, but I’m sure that’ll change. I did wear it out and about in Leicester at new year, and it was very comfortable, even at the tail-end of December when the wind was pretty biting.
This one was really far simpler: longer than the 2013 cape, it actually kept my arms properly warm. It was only made out of one layer of fleece (half-circle) with an added collar that I drated myself (it’s a folded piece of fabric – nothing fancy! I used some embroidery silk to finish off the collar and it’s actually attached with one of my grandmother’s old cloak clasps from when she was very young. these are attached through two holes at the neck, which were punched through with a leather punch. The joy of fleece is that it doesn’t look bad, but it also doesnt need to be hemmed at all, which makes it very very quick to work with. The cape only took a few minutes to sew together and it’s very very easy to trim should I decide to do so!